Tom Sweeney

It's a coming of age tale….

Posts Tagged ‘Toronto’

LG-Nortel launches joint venture for voice and data network

Posted by sweens on January 28, 2010

Published on January 28th, 2010
Canadian Press

The joint venture formed by Nortel Networks Corp. and LG Electronics of South Korea plans to tackle the U.S. business equipment market by mid-February with a new Taiwanese partner.

LG-Nortel said Thursday that it will pair with Accton Group to roll out a voice and data network for businesses operating under the name Edgecore Networks Inc.

LG-Nortel will hold a 60 per cent share in Edgecore while Accton will have the remaining 40 per cent.

The two companies will split responsibilities such as research and development, manufacturing, and marketing.

“This partnership will provide significant new opportunities to reinforce our brand, increasing our global competitiveness and helping our customers embrace the future opportunities and challenges of the converged communications market,” said LG-Nortel chief executive Jae Ryung Lee in a release.

Nortel holds a majority stake in the LG-Nortel joint venture, one of the few remaining pieces of the company that hasn’t been sold.

Toronto-based Nortel, formerly a giant of the global telecom equipment industry, filed for bankruptcy protection last year and has since been auctioning off its assets in an attempt to pay back debtholders.

http://www.obj.ca/Technology/2010-01-28/article-585270/LG-Nortel-launches-joint-venture-for-voice-and-data-network/1

Posted in News | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

QA Analysts in Ottawa: Where are you…

Posted by sweens on June 1, 2009

I have had at least three Quality Assurance position assigned to me over the last 2 weeks and I have found them to be challenging.  The reason for my challenge is that I receive so few applications from local candidates.  Can anyone tell me why?

I receive many applications – I would say too many applications – however most of the applicants are from the Toronto or Montreal area.  While I have no problem working with out of town resources, I find it hard to believe that there are so few local candidates. 

I personally do not like being assigned an order by our Toronto office (corporate headquarters) and then submitting them candidates that lives 5 minutes away from their office.  This makes me feel like I am not doing my job.  Surely a recruiter in Toronto can find a Toronto based candidate who will travel – because I am certainly finding them.

Perhaps it is the situation of the labour market which is forcing people to expand the location they are willing to work in, but more and more candidates seem willing to accept a contract five hours down the 401 for the same rate they would get paid back home.

I am going to look into finding a ‘QA’ only job board because I am not turning up enough local candidates.  Perhaps they have something against traditional job boards like Monster and Workopolis.

Posted in Recruitment | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »